Visitor Visas: All You Need to Know
Traveling abroad need not be confusing if you have all the details worked out. Here, we shall be discussing the common visitor visa types, eligibility, costs involved, as well as the documentation required.
What is a visit visa?
A visitor visa for any country is a kind of nonimmigrant visa permitting you to stay in a specific country for a certain period of time.
Generally, as a temporary visitor in a country, you can either attend short-term business activities, visit family/friends, or go as a tourist. A visitor visa also allows you to visit overseas for medical treatment.
What can I do on a visit visa?
Generally, activities permitted on a visit visa include -
- Visiting relatives
- Meeting up with friends
- Attending a business conference
- Negotiating a business contract
- Medical treatment
- Holding consultations with business associate
- Taking part in short-term training
Work or study (unless a short recreational course of study as a hobby etc.) is not allowed while in a country on a temporary visitor visa. If you enter as a tourist/visitor, you will have to apply to get your status changed or switch to another visa category before you can work or study in a foreign country.
Things to know about the visitor visa -
- Usually hassle-free
- Obtained easily
- Must have a genuine reason for specific travel purpose
- Proof of funds needed
- A visa interview might be held
- Biometrics usually required
- Might be granted for - three to six months
What are the types of visitor visas?
Different kinds of visitor visas are available, depending on the reason behind traveling to a particular country. Each of the countries have their own eligibility criteria and application process.
Visitor visas can be classified based on the reason for travel - tourism, visiting family/friends, business, or transit.
Additionally, the different types of visas available can be as per the number of entries allowed. A visit visa can be - single entry, double entry, or multiple entry.
This type of visa is required by the host country purely for visiting and tourism purposes. Rules and regulations for this type of visa are normally found on the host country’s embassy or consulate website.
This visa is required by those planning to conduct business in the host country. It is useful for businessmen traveling for meetings in regard to negotiations, sales, and/or research purposes.
Issued by the host country to allow the visitor to work legally in the country. The process of issuing this visa also differs from one country to another. Processing time for this visa can take anywhere from 10 days to 3 months.
It is required by some countries emphasizing political security. Transit Visas are required when you land in a country but want to move further within a short period. These visas are generally only good for 3 days at most.
These types of visas fall into all of the above categories. Single-entry means that you can only enter the country once. Double-entry means twice, and the multiple-entry visas allow you to enter as many times as you like during the valid period.
This type of visa is issued to family members living outside the host country. It is recommended to avail this for visiting a citizen or permanent resident of the country you are visiting.
What is the eligibility criteria for a visit visa?
The specific eligibility criteria that you must fulfill will vary from country to country.
Visa to apply for: Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourist stream (apply outside Australia)
Australia subclass 600 visa lets you visit Australia as a tourist, see family and friends in Australia, or go on a cruise.
Applicants satisfying the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Australia Visitor Visa -
- Genuine intention to temporarily stay in Australia.
- Visiting for purposes other than business or medical treatment.
- Sponsored or able to support themselves during the visit.
- Satisfy the relevant public interest criteria, including that of character and health.
You will need a Canada visitor visa if you plan to travel, do business, visit family and friends, or transit through Canada. Most travelers will require a visitor visa to travel to Canada.
Transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to a final destination might also require a Canada visitor visa.
A Canada visitor visa, an official document showing that the requirements for entering the country have been duly met, is affixed in the passport of the traveler.
The Canada visitor visa can be applied for online or on paper.
The Canada Visitor Visa requires you to meet the following -
- Proof of sufficient funds as financial support during the visit.
- Be in good health.
- Not be seeking or undertaking a job during the visit.
- No criminal or immigration-related convictions.
- Visitors staying with relatives or friends need to provide invitation letters from sponsors.
- Applicants from certain countries will require a temporary residence permit.
- Be able to convince immigration officers of ties with the home country.
- Be a genuine visitor who will leave Canada at the end of their visit.
- Other requirements based on the profile may be required.
Visitor visas for the United States of America come under the ‘B’ visa category. US visitor visas available are - B-1 visa for business, B-2 visa for tourism, and B-1/B-2 visa that combines B-1 and B-2 in a single visa.
You must fulfill these general eligibility criteria for a Visitor Visa of the USA.
- Genuine intention regarding your purpose of visit which can be temporary, such as - business, tourism, or medical treatment.
- Visit to be only for a specific time.
- Demonstrate a sufficient amount of funds to cover your US stay.
- Establish ties with your home country proving that you will go back after your visit.
Visa to apply for: Standard Visitor visa
US Standard Visitor visa allows you to visit the United Kingdom for business, tourism, study courses (up to six months in duration), and other activities.
Application to be made online, followed by attending an appointment at a Visa Application Center (VAC).
Kinds of UK Standard Visitor visas available -
- Standard Visitor visa, for six months
- Standard Visitor visa for medical reasons, for 11 months
- Standard Visitor visa for academics, for 12 months
- Two-year long-term Standard Visitor visa, six months per visit
- Five-year long-term Standard Visitor visa, six months per visit
- Ten-year long-term Standard Visitor visa, six months per visit
If you wish to visit the UK, you must fulfill these eligibility criteria to receive the UK Visitor Visa -
- Intent to leave the United Kingdom at the end of your visit or trip.
- Funds to cover your stay in the UK.
- Demonstrate the proof of activities or business that you intend to do in the UK that comply with the visitor rules.
With the visitor visa, you can explore New Zealand or enjoy amateur sports, visit friends and family, or take part in any adventure activity. You can also study in New Zealand for up to three months while in the country on a visitor visa.
You will have to meet the following criteria to qualify for the New Zealand Visitor Visa -
- Proof of your identity.
- Good health.
- Good character and certificate of conduct.
- Proof of funds while you stay in New Zealand, or you must be sponsored by someone who is residing in the country.
- Lastly, you must show proof of your return ticket back to your home country after the end of your visit.
As they have all signed the Schengen Agreement, 26 countries in Europe are known as the Schengen countries.
These are - France, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark, Iceland, Austria, Sweden, Belgium, Malta, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Liechtenstein, Greece, Slovakia, Italy, Portugal, Finland, Latvia, Hungary, Luxembourg, Poland, and Norway.
With a Uniform Schengen Visa (USV), you can visit any country in the Schengen Area and stay up to 90 days in every six-month period starting from the date of entry.
Eligibility criteria to be met for being granted a Schengen Visa -
- Visa application form
- Proof of having paid the visa fees, €80 for adults and €45 for children from 6 to 12 years old.
- Proof of financial means to cover duration of stay
- Proof of accommodation
- Travel health insurance for the entire Schengen Area, with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euros.
- Round trip reservation
Immigration Services From Experienced Lawyers
Trusted by 1224+ clients from 20 countries
We have been counselling students for educational opportunities in Foreign countries and have been helping them realise their dream of studying abroad.
- Suspendisse euismod enim in magna venenatis ornare.
- Praesent pharetra mi id nisl tempus condimentum.
- Cras vel ipsum vitae libero vulputate tempor vel at enim.
- Nullam in urna molestie nisi bibendum dignissim.
- Ut eleifend elit quis felis pellentesque placerat.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Candidates who do not have a legitimate job offer from a Canadian employer will have to disclose a certain amount of funds before entering the country. These funds should be easily accessible and transferable without any liability, such as credit card debt or loans.
The amount varies as per the number of dependents an applicant has. If you are only a single applicant, you will need to disclose at least CAD 13,213. It will be CAD 16,449 for two members. For each added member, you can add CAD 3,560.
This question often confuses many candidates. Canada aims to invite a diverse range of competent individuals under the NOC 0, A, or B skilled occupations.
Skill Type 0: This type of occupation refers to most management jobs in industries such as food service, restaurant management, retail, etc.
Skill Level A: This occupation requires a university degree and critical occupations such as IT, construction, engineering, legal, etc.
Skill Level B: This category includes technical occupations and skilled trades requiring a diploma or training as a chef, retail salesperson, standard office worker, etc.
Before creating an express entry profile, it is important to ensure that you possess 67 points for immigration to Canada. Creating an express entry profile is a crucial step, so you should make sure you can get 67 points under the comprehensive ranking system. It would help if you looked into the various categories affecting your qualification or eligibility. After that, here are the documents you will have to upload for creating a profile:
In order to create your Express Entry profile, you’ll need three types of documents:
1. Identification: Keep all your identification documents handy, including your passport.
2. Language Competency Results: You should have all test results validating your language proficiency. These tests can be for English, such as IELTS and CELPIP test, or TEF and TCF for French. The results for these tests would not be valid if you took them two years before creating the profile.
3. Education-related documents: An Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) is crucial for candidates who have completed their education outside Canada.
Any number of reasons can affect your CRS score. Also, it is incredibly challenging to identify the areas affecting your CRS score. In such cases, it is recommended to get in touch with an immigration consultant and gather more information about improving your CRS score. For instance, one prevalent method of bolstering your CRS score is re-appearing for a language proficiency test. You can also gather additional work experience for in-demand occupations for some provincial nominee programs.
One crucial requirement for applying under the Federal Skilled Worker Program is documentation clarifying your fitness and criminal records. For the medical certification, you will have to schedule a medical exam or screening with a physician recognised by IRCC.
For the clearance certificate, you will have to provide a criminal background check report. If you have lived in other countries after turning 18, you will be required to provide criminal background verification certification from those countries.
You will also be required to submit work reference letters from your previous employers within 60 days of receiving an invitation to apply (ITA).
An immigration agency can streamline the process and help you acquire 67 points for immigration to Canada. The consultants look for ways and areas where you can improve your CRS ranking and score. We provide assistance in identifying areas and other relevant programs for ensuring your efforts do not go in vain. For instance, your work experience may not be applicable in one province, but in the other one, it is an in-demand occupation. Croyez Immigration ensures that each applicant knows various pathways available to them and all the visa requirements.
We are one of the best immigration consultants in India for Canada immigration. Get in touch with us to learn more about the Federal Skilled Worker Program, including other available pathways to immigration to Canada.
-: Talk to our Experts :-
WOViCO – World Visa Consultant is helping in every possible aspect to fulfill your dream for work and settle in your dream country. We are assisting you with all programs like Express entry, General Skilled migration and Temporary visa. Nowadays its become a land of opportunity for the immigrants it’s time to take the opportunity and utilize it. We have an expert team to guide your application with value-added services. If you think to adapt a great lifestyle in Canada, Australia or any other country then WOViCO is the right place to start.